I celebrated a milestone birthday earlier this week by turning 50 years young.
Crossing that half-century mark got me thinking I should take my own advice and share some of the most meaningful insights I’ve learned through my 50 years on the planet. (After all, just a couple days ago I advised you to create content based around “What I’ve Learned in My [X] Years in Real Estate” in my most recent #TomFerryShow.)
So I started jotting down some of the most important guiding principles that I strive to live by – and that I always try to pass on to you.
And then I whittled them down to these 50.
I want to make this clear: I’m not taking credit for all of these ideas. I owe huge thanks to all the mentors, colleagues, and contemporaries who led me to where I am today, including Bill Mitchell, Mike Vance, Jay Abraham, Tony Robbins, Brian Tracy, of course my dad, Mike Ferry, and many more.
Do me a favor and honor them by adopting these ideas into your own life to accomplish your goals and achieve the lifestyle you desire.
Let’s go! (In no particular order…)
- There’s no wrong way to generate a lead.
- It’s not what happens that matters most; it’s how you respond to it.
- If it’s not in your schedule, it doesn’t exist.
- Your strategy matters and passion rules!
- Routine is the sign of an ambitious individual.
- In business, you either adapt or you die.
- Mentors matter. Do you have one? Five? 10? No matter how many you have, keep seeking more!
- All growth takes place outside your comfort zone.
- Your “why” matters.
- Living life by design is better than living it by default.
- People like to do business with people they feel are just like them.
- There’s no need to reinvent the wheel when you can model your behaviors on the successes of those who went before you.
- Interested people do it when it’s convenient. Committed people do it, period. Are you interested or committed?
- Don’t just set a goal. Create a WIG: Wildly Important Goal.
- Always celebrate your wins… or risk work feeling like a grind and eventual burnout.
- There’s no such thing as work-life balance. Work time, family time, play time… it’s all just life. Accept that and you’ll be happier and more productive.
- Your vibe attracts your tribe.
- Know your daily number.
- Video is the absolute best way to connect with consumers and scale trust in today’s marketplace.
- Without a written plan in place, you’re simply rolling the dice with your future.
- He or she who talks to the most people wins.
- Repeatable and scalable processes will get you where you want to go.
- It doesn’t matter how good you are if you haven’t figured out how to communicate your difference to consumers.
- Don’t try to please everyone. Narrow your focus to broaden your appeal.
- Whenever possible when speaking with a prospect, show, don’t tell.
- Your goals must be up and visual.
- Know your numbers: Track and measure everything you do.
- Don’t practice on your clients.
- People will do more to avoid pain than to achieve pleasure. Create painful consequences for not taking action.
- Take your M.E.D.S. daily – Meditate, Exercise, Diet and Sleep.
- Discipline creates the real freedom we desire.
- When you’re stuck in your head, you’re dead.
- Run plays that work.
- Money is a tool. Nothing more. Nothing less.
- Relevancy and familiarity create trust. Trust creates referrals and sales.
- It’s you versus you.
- If you must doubt something, doubt your limits.
- Your income is in direct correlation to the amount of problems you solve.
- What got you here won’t get you there.
- Your head is a scary place to be.
- Always operate at #Level10 with no apologies!
- Gratitude creates a great attitude.
- Nothing worthwhile happens quickly. Commit to the long run.
- Don’t ask for less fear. Ask for more courage.
- How you feel on the inside radiates to those on the outside. Love this one… Thanks Carl Jung!
- Most people overestimate what they can accomplish in one year and dramatically underestimate what they can accomplish in a decade.
- You become who you surround yourself with. Get rid of the energy sucking vampires.
- If you don’t follow up, someone else will.
- Done is better than perfect.
- The market will discipline those who don’t discipline themselves.
That’s it! Which of those 50 resonated loudest with you? Let me know in the comments below!